Your shopping bag is empty - time to start shopping!
Pretty Little Secrets | KS Beauty Bar
Brow Whisperer Kristie Streicher changes the shape and future of our eyebrows.
Before we met Kristie we thought our eyebrows were relegated to a life of mediocrity, fretting that full brows were better left to the likes of Cara Delevingne or Amanda Peet. But, alas, within 90 seconds of surveying our brows in her sun-drenched Lower East Side studio, the lovely Kristie Streicher assures us there is room to grow. Would we like them a little fuller she asks? Hell yes! We just didn’t think it possible. A few more minutes with Kristie quickly reveals we’ve been a victim of our own over-tweezing (we swear we almost never do it!) She immediately declares us in “eyebrow rehab” and proceeds to give us the full treatment, and a little chat….
During the late 90s, Kristie was working in New York City as a make-up artist and skincare specialist when her talents caught the eye of Beth Landman-Keil, then-beauty editor at New York Magazine. Her brow whispering skills secured her a spot on the magazine’s coveted “best of list” and the rest was history. “Overnight, I got 32 clients a day—brows. I quit doing facials. I quit doing skincare and just focused on brows. I started doing celebrities and going on talk shows,” Kristie tells us. “It was insane—the power of the weight of that back then. And that’s how it all started and I just went with it. It’s been awesome.”
When Warren Tricomi’s opened a salon in LA, Kristie packed her bags to join them. The move out West has apparently been going so well, she just opened the KS Beauty Bar inside the Warren-Tricomi Salon on Melrose. Fortunately for her New York clientele Streicher travels back to the East Coast every 6-8 weeks to help keep us in shape.
So what’s all the hype look like? Well, first you settle into her chair, which is easy because she’s so pleasant to chat with. Then, she applies an all natural vegetable dye to you brows. It softens and fills in smaller, lighter colored hair. Then, she massages a bit of Afore Oil to the brow area. She assures us it makes tweezing painless (and it does!). Its her own creation, which she recently started bottling and selling. A lovely elixir of argon oil, aloe vera and a blend of essential oils. Then, a bit of tweezing and light penciling. We look in the mirror and can’t believe what we see, we already heading in the direction of Jennifer Connelly! Streicher assures us we can leave Tweezerman safely in the medicine cabinet until our next visit in 6-8 weeks, and that the full rehab process, will take 6-8 months. We’re sold!
Kristie’s Beauty Must Haves:
1. Mary Kay Brow Gel- A clear gel with strong hold without the stickiness or flakiness of the others. Use to brush up the fronts (sprouts) of brows to create that Beautiful Brooke Shield’s look.
2. Stila Convertible Cheek Color in Gerbera- Put a smudge of this on the apple of your cheeks and you get an instant lift of radiant looking vitality. Think young glowing ballerina.
3. Afore Oil by K. Streicher- An all natural Argan oil with a blend of essential oils that adds a healthy glow to the skin. Used before tweezing, it makes the process merely painless.
4. Queen Lip Tar by Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics- Lip Tar’s are nuclear pigmented color that lasts and don’t dry out the lips. The liquid consistency of the product helps it to go on thin and just leave enough color on the lips to create a stain. Queen is the perfect pink with just the right amount of punch!
5. Clé de Peau Beauté Concealer – The consistency and wearability of this product is like no other. Use it on clean skin or with foundation it blends perfectly and the colors are dead on.
Pro tip: Find an exfoliator and moisturizer that works with your skin—make up can only look as good as the skin underneath it.
Photo courtesy KS Beauty Bar.